Reentry, Returning Students

U.S. students who have been absent from Iowa State University less than 12 months may be admitted as a returning student. If more than 12 months have elapsed since last enrolled, a U.S. student must apply for reentry to the university. All international students must apply for reentry regardless of the time away from the university.

Reentering, Returning Process Information

Different processes apply for graduate, international, and undergraduate students. Choose a link at the left for forms and more information. For more information about returning or reentering Iowa State University, contact the Office of the Registrar at

For more detail about the policy, see the reentry policy in the current catalog.

Frequently Asked Questions

If I have not been enrolled for a number of years or have earned a bachelor's degree from ISU, do I need to complete another application for admission?
No. As long as you are returning as an undergraduate student, you simply need to complete a reentry form, even if you wish to change to a different major. The form is available from the link of the left column of this page.

If I was academically dismissed will the reentry process allow me to attend ISU?
No. Students who left Iowa State in good academic standing may use the reentry process. Students who were academically dismissed and absent from the university more than 12 months must also be reinstated. The reinstatement process applies to students who were dismissed from Iowa State for academic reasons.

Who should I contact if I have questions about reentering ISU?
You should contact the Office of the Registrar at 515-294-2331 or e-mail